Friday, November 14, 2014

2014 Volvo XC60 T5 Review

Today I took my C30 to the shop to have the clutch master cylinder replaced.  Over the last few days, the clutch had gotten progressively softer and bleeding it did not help.  I came to find a puddle of brake fluid on my floorboard, so I knew something was seriously wrong.

Since it will be at least one day before my car is ready, my local dealership hooked me up with a courtesy loaner.

2014 Volvo XC60 T5

As I approached the car, I was excited to see that I got a new vehicle for my loaner.  Last time I ended up with a 2 year old S60 with an interior which smelled like a 2 year old S60.

First impression?  Well, it's kind of shaped like an egg.  I can see Volvo's classic styling... Broad shoulders, "V" shaped hood, extended tail lights, waterfall interior... But this base model looks like most other compact SUVs on the road.

The push button start was a nice little treat, as was the premium-sound stereo which immediately began blasting to my favorite radio station.

After pushing every button I could find to push, opening up the GINORMOUS sunroof, and adjusting my mirrors, I set off.  The torque off the line was quite surprising, but the smooth 8 speed automatic has its pros and cons.

Pros:
Super smooth between shifts.
Very linear acceleration.
Maintains a low RPM for improved gas mileage.

Cons:
It's autotragic and the geartronic shift feature feels unresponsive with the 8 gears.
80mph at 2100RPM, if you're used to highway cruising at 2900RPM, that'll put you in the triple digits.  Watch your speed!!!

The XC60 may not be the sportiest vehicle to drive, but the Volvo lineage is quite apparent and I would rank it high for comfort and luxury.  It's very quiet, it's very smooth, and once you're not distract by the customizable gauge display, it's a very nice car to drive.  The turning radius is phenomenal and it feels more like a midsize car than a spacious SUV.

The T5 is definitely too small of an engine for a car this weight.  While it'll get up and go quicker than most, the engine seems best suited in a smaller car.  A Polestar tune might wake it up a little, but I would probably opt for the T6 R-design if I was buying one of these for myself.

Another thing I don't like is that the engine shuts off at every stop.  It comes back the moment you come off the brakes, but there is a small jerk every time it starts.  The technology is not as smooth as what is used in the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

All in all, it is a quality car and a great loaner.  But the moral of the story... Don't give me a rental and expect me not to play with it.




No comments:

Post a Comment