Tuesday, February 9, 2016

P1 Volvo Front Seat Removal and Racing Bucket Installation

A few months back, I undertook the task of removing my front seats to install Sparco racing buckets.

Please visit FCP Euro to read my latest article: How to remove/replace front seats in a P1 Volvo (C30/C70/S40/V50)

For those who are further interested, here are videos on both front seat removal and seat skin replacement.


Reusing the base of the stock seat rails, I was able to build my own track for the Sparco racing seat.  The power/memory function still works with forward/backward adjustment; because it's a fixed back seat, there is no tilt adjustment.

DIY bracket on stock seat rails
DIY bracket on stock seat rails
Sparco seat installed
Volvo controls for seat adjustment
The Sparco seat sits at the same angle and level that I previously had my stock seat adjusted to.  From a commuter's sitting perspective, it feels no different.  But from a driver's perspective, the thick sides of the seat have made a drastic improvement by keeping me planted when the car is going sideways through a turn.  The massive weight reduction has also been a plus.  


At the end of the day, I do not have any intent of swapping the passenger seat.  While the additional weight reduction and symmetry would be nice, racing bucks are not ideal for all passengers.  I have to keep the car somewhat civilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment