Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Mishimoto Mustang Coolant Reservoir in a Volvo

I have finally finished up my aluminum coolant reservoir project.

There are a few good options for the MkII Focus RS that are directly compatible with P1 Volvos, but shipping and taxes from Europe bring it to over $300! A steep price to pay for a plug and play unit.


After some research, I discovered that the 2015 Mustang (more mustang parts for my car!) uses a similar inlet/outlet setup on the coolant tank. Mishimoto makes one of the best tank for the money, plus they have a lifetime warranty on their products.


Along with this tank, I also had to purchase a Mustang reservoir cap part# DG9Z8100A 

Unfortunately, a lot of modifying would be required to fit this larger tank in the stock location of P1 Volvo engine bays... 
Prior to purchasing the Mustang tank, also tried Mishimoto's product for the WRX, but the inlet/outlets were not the correct diameter and the tank was also 2/3rds the size of stock Volvo reservoir.

In the end, I built a bracket for the reservoir to sit in place of where my battery used to be.  The plumbing had to be rerouted, but it has been functioning properly without any issues. Now I will never have to worry about this reservoir cracking!



No comments:

Post a Comment