Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Emissions-Free County Problems

Growing up in a county that required annual emissions testing put a huge restraint on how extensively I could modify my car.  Even a software tune was detectable by their OBII reader tools, meaning I had to annually revert my car to stock performance prior to testing.  Although, I shouldn't complain when considering what my German friends go through with the TüV.

This past year, I moved to an emissions free county. "Lucky you!" you might say.  It is true, renewing your registration without submitting any emissions documentation is a liberating experience.  Plus, it saves you $15 and 10 minutes every year!  However, I have recently discovered a slight issue with living in an emissions free county.  There are endless possibilities for your exhaust!

Maker Motorsports rear diffuser and custom quad exhaust tips

Just 3 weeks after moving, I ordered a 3" catless downpipe.  Hooray for hurting the environment!  My dad recently bought a hybrid, so that should balance out my family's carbon footprint... Right?  After installation, I upgraded to a Stage 2 tune and really began to enjoy the improved sound and performance.  But the post-"cat" cutout now results flames UNDER my car.  This is where my first world problem begins, straight pipes are too loud for a daily driver, but the restrictive factory muffler loses 2psi of boost when the cutout is closed.  Therefore, more money must be spent $$$.

Here's how my car previously sounded with the Magnaflow cutout partially open:


After pondering the decision for a few days, wanting to maintain a similar throaty tone, I settled on a 5" round Magnaflow muffler.  This will go in place of the cutout and the factory muffler will soon be deleted.  Stay tuned for progression pictures and sound clips!

5" Magnaflow muffler

No comments:

Post a Comment