Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Fire Safety is Important

When you have thousands of dollars and hundred of hours invested into your car, the last thing you want to see is it going up in flames.  That is why I have always carried fire extinguishers in my cars... Thankfully, I have never needed to use one on my own car, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Mounting a fire extinguisher in a car requires as much consideration as mounting an extinguisher in a building.  Letting the compressed tank roll about in the trunk is never a good idea, but it is also risky placing it in a spot where passengers might accidentally set it off.

My solution was to mount the fire extinguisher to the base of my driver's seat.

C30 fire extinguisher mount

The simple bracket does not interfere with seat positioning or movement.  It remains out of the way of my legs and it is easily accessible in a time of emergency.

As seen in my S40, a single band of metal was bent and bolted to the seat frame using the existing car seat screws.

Fire extinguisher clip bolted to bracket
Bracket bolted to car seat frame
Mount with fire extinguisher removed
S40 fire extinguisher mount

While I hope to never use my fire extinguisher, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment