Monday, December 1, 2014

Shift Ball

Weighing the shift knob
Some might call it ricer, but I have always been a fan of the JDM style shift balls.

Weighing in at just over 5oz, it is not the most hefty knob on the market.  However, it does feel durable and the aluminum finish will not wear out as quickly as the Volvo leather shift knobs.

My first order of business was to paint the red lettering to match my car's theme.  Blue of course!

Blue lettering


















Installation is where this project got a little tricky.  Unlike most shift knobs, which use a threaded stick, Volvo uses a pin to lock the knob in place.

Threaded base

Using an angle grinder, I cut the pin off, leaving a smooth straight stick.

Modified shift stick

Rather than having the shaft threaded, I bought an assortment of vacuum caps and found one which fit perfectly for both the stick and the knob.

Red vacuum cap for mounting

The next order of business was to modify the shift boot to reattach it to the new knob.  
First, I found a washer which fit the stick.  I then threaded my boot through the hole and realigned it to the console.  Not only does it hold the boot in place, but it also aligns with the base of my new shift knob.

Fitting a washer for the shift boot
Shift boot modification

The finished result is right on par with my standards of perfection.  The alignment is as smooth as factory, while maintaining a clean aftermarket appearance.

Aluminum shift ball


















No comments:

Post a Comment