Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Let's Talk End Links

The purpose of end links are to connect the sway bar to the struts or the lower control arms.  With the sway bar being linked to both sides of the suspension, it prevents body roll by allowing each side to compensate for the other.

What does this actually mean?  It means that your car is less prone to torquing about on itself, while keeping the body relatively level through a turn.

Now lower that car and push it to the limits.  If your car sees regular abuse, there is a risk that the thin factory end links might break.  This might not be the end of the world, but the car would not handle properly; it would be sloppy and unpredictable.

This happened once on my S40, at the Tail of the Dragon...  To avoid any chance of this happening again, I have replaced the OEM end links with the beefed up, fully adjustable, end links from Massive Speed Systems.

Massive end links

While I cannot say I notice a difference with daily driving, I do have the peace of mind knowing that my end links are ready for any track day.  Are they worth the money?  Not for a daily driver.  If your factory end links break, I recommend replacing them with OEM equivalents for $20 a piece.  However, I got these in a parts box when I purchased my car, so no money out of my pocket!  Plus, they look pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment